Google’s Gboard, the versatile and powerful keyboard app for Android, offers a myriad of functionalities that remain undiscovered by many. This article aims to reveal 10 Gboard hidden features that can truly enhance your typing experience and help you tap into the full potential of this remarkable application. Get ready to master Gboard like never before!
1. Integrated Google Search: A Game-Changer
One of the most distinctive Gboard hidden features is the built-in Google search functionality. By simply tapping the “G” button located at the top right corner of the keyboard, users can swiftly conduct a search without leaving their current app or chat window. This integrated search option provides instant answers and eliminates the need to switch between apps, making it an incredibly handy tool for accessing vital information quickly.
How to Use Integrated Google Search in Gboard
- Tap on the “G” button on the top right corner of the keyboard.
- Type your search query and hit enter.
- Browse through the search suggestions that appear on top.
- Tap on the desired result, and it will automatically be pasted into the text field.
2. Multilingual Typing: Communicate Without Boundaries
Gboard supports over 120 languages, allowing users to type in multiple languages simultaneously without the need to switch between keyboards. By specifying the languages you want to use, Gboard will automatically detect and offer predictions based on the language you’re typing in.
How to Add Languages to Gboard
- Tap on the “G” button and then tap on the “Gear” icon to access Gboard settings.
- Tap on “Languages” to view the list of supported languages.
- Enable the languages you’d like to use by tapping the button next to them.
- The selected languages will be automatically downloaded and available in Gboard.
3. Spacebar as a Trackpad: Cursor Control at Your Fingertips
Gboard’s spacebar trackpad functionality addresses the common struggle of positioning the tiny cursor accurately while editing text. By swiping left or right on the spacebar, users can effortlessly control the cursor and navigate through the text with ease.
4. Quick Deletion of Multiple Words: Clean Up in a Swipe
Gboard offers a convenient way to delete multiple words in a single swipe, making text editing a breeze. This feature works by swiping left from the delete key, highlighting the words you wish to remove. Simply lift your finger from the screen once the desired words are highlighted, and they will be deleted.
5. Unified Emoji and GIF Search: Express Yourself with Ease
Gboard houses a comprehensive built-in search for emojis and GIFs, allowing users to quickly find and send the perfect visual expression. By tapping on the “Emojis” button at the bottom right corner of the keyboard, users can access a search bar where they can type the desired emotion or content to find the most suitable emoji or GIF.
How to Search for Emojis and GIFs in Gboard
- Tap on the “Emojis” button at the bottom right corner of the keyboard.
- Type your desired emotion or content in the search bar at the top.
- Browse through the results and tap on the chosen emoji or GIF to send it.
6. Glide Typing: A Fluid Experience
While glide typing has been a feature of Google Keyboard for some time, Gboard has enhanced this functionality by improving the smoothness of animations and increasing accuracy. Glide typing in Gboard is now faster and more responsive, providing a fluid and enjoyable typing experience.
7. Permanent Number Row: Accessibility at Your Fingertips
Gboard now allows users to add a permanent number row at the top of the keyboard, making it easier to input numbers without switching between keyboard layouts.
How to Enable the Permanent Number Row in Gboard
- Access Gboard settings by tapping on the “G” button and then the “Gear” icon.
- Tap on “Preferences” and enable the “Number Row” option.
- A number row will now appear at the top of the keyboard.
8. One-Hand Mode: Effortless Typing on Large Displays
Typing with one hand on large display devices can be challenging, but Gboard’s One-Hand mode resolves this issue by pinning the keyboard to one corner of the screen, making all keys easily reachable.
How to Enable One-Hand Mode in Gboard
- Tap on the “G” button and click on the “One Hand” mode icon in the middle.
- One-Hand mode will be activated, and you can tap on the expand button on the side to switch back to normal mode.
9. Capitalization and Symbol Shortcuts: Swift Typing Solutions
Gboard simplifies capitalization and symbol input, providing shortcuts for quick and efficient typing. To capitalize a letter, tap on the “Shift” key and swipe to the desired letter. To enter symbols, tap on the “?123” button and swipe upward, selecting the required symbol before releasing the swipe.
10. Customizable Themes: Personalize Your Gboard
Gboard offers a variety of themes and customization options, allowing users to tailor their keyboard appearance to their preferences. From solid colors to gradients and landscape wallpapers, Gboard has a multitude of themes to choose from, with options for both bordered and borderless key layouts.
How to Customize Your Gboard Theme
- Tap the “Gear” icon in Gboard to access the settings.
- Press “Theme” to enter the theming menu.
- Browse through the available options and select a theme.
- Choose between bordered or borderless keys and tap “Apply.”
By exploring and taking advantage of these Gboard hidden features, you’ll not only elevate your typing experience but also discover the true power of Google’s exceptional keyboard app. So, go ahead and master Gboard like a pro!