iPads have become increasingly popular for their versatility and ease of use. One of the features that make them stand out is their ability to multitask using the Split Screen and Slide Over functionalities. However, not everyone finds these features helpful or necessary.
If you’re one of those people who want to learn how to remove split screen on the iPad, you’ve come to the right place.
We’ll cover everything you need to know to disable, exit, and manage split-screen features on your iPad effectively.
Understanding Split Screen and Slide Over on the iPad
Before diving into how to remove split screen on the iPad, it’s essential to understand the difference between Split Screen and Slide Over features.
Split Screen (Split View)
Split Screen, also known as Split View, allows you to have two apps open side by side on your iPad. This feature is excellent for multitasking, as it enables you to work with two apps simultaneously without constantly switching between them.
Slide Over is another multitasking feature on the iPad that lets you open a small, floating window on top of a full-screen app. This smaller window can be moved and hidden as needed, making it an excellent tool for quickly accessing a secondary app without leaving the primary app.
iPads That Support Split Screen Features
Before attempting to remove split screen on the iPad, it’s crucial to know which iPad models support these multitasking features. Split Screen and Slide Over are available on the following iPads:
- iPad Pro
- iPad (5th generation or newer)
- iPad Air 2 (or newer)
- iPad mini 4 (or newer)
Ensure your iPad is running on iPadOS 13 or a later version to access these features.
How To Remove Split Screen On The IPad: Exiting Split View
If you have two apps open in Split View and want to get back to a single app view, follow these steps:
- Locate the divider bar between the two apps.
- Tap and hold the drag handle icon in the middle of the divider.
- Drag the handle towards the edge of the screen, depending on which app you want to close. If you want to close the app on the left, drag the bar to the left. If you want to close the app on the right, drag the bar to the right.
- Release the handle when the app you want to close disappears, and the remaining app expands to full-screen mode.
How To Permanently Disable Split Screen on the iPad
If you want to disable the split-screen feature entirely on your iPad, follow these steps:
- Open the Settings app on your iPad.
- Tap on “Home Screen & Dock.”
- Tap on “Multitasking.”
- Toggle off “Allow Multiple Apps.”
By toggling off “Allow Multiple Apps,” you will disable both Split Screen and Slide Over features on your iPad.
How To Remove Slide Over on the iPad
If you have a floating app window on your screen and want to remove it, follow these steps:
- Tap the app controller at the top of the floating app window.
- Swipe the app off the screen to the left or right.
Keep in mind that this method only hides the Slide Over window. To remove it entirely, you’ll need first to convert it to a split-screen view and then close it using the steps described in the “Exiting Split View” section above.
How To Manage Split Screen and Slide Over on the iPad
In addition to learning how to remove split screen on the iPad, it’s essential to know how to manage these multitasking features effectively. Here are some tips:
Opening Apps in Split View or Slide Over
To open an app in Split View or Slide Over, follow these steps:
- Open the first app in full-screen mode.
- Swipe up gently from the bottom of the screen to reveal the Dock.
- Tap and hold the second app icon.
- Drag the app icon to the left or right edge of the screen for Split View, or release it over the primary app for Slide Over.
Adjusting Split View Sizes
When using Split View, you can adjust the size of each app window by dragging the divider bar. Position the divider in the middle for equal-sized windows or adjust it according to your preference.
Switching Between Apps in Slide Over
To switch between apps in Slide Over, swipe left or right on the app controller at the top of the floating window.
How To Remove Split Screen in Safari on the iPad
Safari on the iPad also supports split-screen mode, allowing you to view two web pages simultaneously. To remove the split-screen in Safari, follow these steps:
- Tap and hold the gray drag handle in the center of the split-screen divider.
- Drag the handle to the left or right, depending on which window you want to close.
- Release your finger when the divider is near the edge of the screen, and one of the Safari icons disappears.
Alternatively, you can tap the “Windows” icon in the top right-hand corner of one of the split-screen windows, and select “Merge All Windows” to merge the separate Safari windows into a single window with multiple tabs.
How do I get my iPad back to full screen?
To return your iPad to full-screen mode after using Split View or Slide Over, follow the steps provided in the “Exiting Split View” and “How To Remove Slide Over on the iPad” sections above.
How do I unsplit my iPad screen?
To unsplit your iPad screen, exit Split View by dragging the divider bar to the edge of the screen, as described in the “Exiting Split View” section above.
Knowing how to remove split screen on the iPad is essential for users who prefer a single-app view or find the multitasking features distracting. By following the steps outlined in this comprehensive guide, you can effectively disable, exit, and manage split-screen features on your iPad. Don’t forget to share your experiences and any additional tips in the comments below.