Pixel 4 was one of the most awaited android phones of this year but somehow the android community got disappointed from it.The main reason being the camera for most of them. Pixel 4 came with a new gesture motion thanks to Soli, which allows a user to perform certain tasks without touching the screen and by just hovering the hand gestures on the radars present on the front head of the smartphone.
What is Soli?
Soli is a radar-based gesture recognition technology which was bought by Google and now works on Pixel 4 through the sensor located on the top bezels of the device. Soli can sense motion around the device, and Google has leveraged this for the Motion Sense feature, allowing users to control music, silence alerts, or check their phone by waving their hand over the Pixel.
If you are looking to do anything more than this, you need root, which is not something we recommend to each and every user. However, you can still remap the Pixel 4’s Motion Sense gestures without root.
How to remap Pixel 4 motion sense?
We have here two applications that can be helpful and useful in doing so
For non-rooted devices, requires one-time adb setup to allow Button Mapper to read logcat output.
Rooted devices can work right away.
Turn on screen: For rooted users, there is an option to turn the screen on before performing an action.
Play sound on the action: Makes a sound whenever a swipe action is performed. This is helpful to indicate that the swipe was detected, especially when the screen is off.
Disable while music is playing: This will stop Button Mapper from performing the assigned action while music is playing. This allows you to continue using the built-in previous and next track gestures while listening to music. When not listening to music, Button Mapper will resume remapping.
* ALERT: Flash, Notify LED/Sound/Vibrate, Cancel Notification, Popup Timed/WithTaskIcons/Names, Torch, Vibrate, Vibrate Pattern
* APP: Calendar Insert, Go Home, Kill App, Load App, Open Map (/StreetView/Nav)
* AUDIO: Alarm/Call/DTMF/Media/Notif./Ringer/System Volume, Haptic Feedback Toggle, Mic Mute, Notification Pulse, Notification(<4.1)/Ringer Vibrate (<4.2 or root), Silent Mode, Speakerphone, Sound Effects toggle
* DIALOG: 28 System Settings dialogs
* DISPLAY: Auto-Brightness, Close System Dialogs, Keyguard, Keyguard Pattern, Display Brightness, Display Off Timeout, Display Rotation, Set Wallpaper, Stay On, Status Bar (expand/collapse), System Lock
* FILE: Browse Files, Directory Create/Delete/Move, File Copy/Delete/Move/Open, Write To File, Read Line, Read Paragraph, Zip/Unzip File
* INPUT: Button, Dpad (root only), Type (root only), Input Method Select, Soft Keyboard (show)
* MEDIA: Media Button Events (grab), Media Player Control, Music File/Dir, Play/Forward/Back/Stop, Photo/Series/TimeSeries, Record Audio, Record Audio Stop, Ringtone, Scan Card
* MISC: (Broadcast) Action Intent, Component Intent, Get Location, GPS Status (<2.3 or Cyanogen/submodel), Run (ASE) Script, Say, Say To File, Shut Up, Search For, Set Clipboard, Reboot (root only), Set CPU (root only) Set Timezone
* NETWORK: Airplane Mode (<4.1 or root), Autosync, BT, BT ID, Compose Email, Browse URL, HTTP GET, HTTP POST, Mobile Data (on/off), Mobile Data 2G/3G (Cyanogen only), USB Tether, WiFi Toggle, Wifi Disconnect/Reassociate/Reconnect, Wifi Sleep, Wifi Tether, Wimax Toggle
* PHONE: Call, Call Log, Call Block/Divert/Revert, Compose MMS/SMS, Contacts, End Call, Radio, Send SMS, Send Data SMS, Silence Ringer, Take Call
* TASKER: Change Icon Set, If, End If, Goto Action, Perform Task, Profile Toggle, Query Action, Set Widget Icon, Set Widget Label, Stop, Wait, Wait Until
* VARIABLES: Set, Clear, Inc, Dec, Query, Randomize, Split, Join, List
* 3RD PARTY: Android Notifier, Astrid, BeyondPod, JuiceDefender Data/Toggle, Gentle Alarm, NewsRob, OfficeTalk, SleepBot, SMS Backup+, TeslaLED, WidgetLocker
To remap the gestures without root using Tasker, you need the latest version of Tasker. Then, follow the steps below in order:
- In Tasker, create a new Profile and choose the Event context.
- Select “Logcat Entry” as the Event.
- In the “Component” field, enter “Oslo/FlickGestureSensor” without quotes to remap the flick right/left/up/down gestures.
- Then in the “Filter” field, enter “SOUTH“, “NORTH“, “EAST“, or “WEST“, without quotes, depending on the gesture direction you want to listen for. Though, note that accuracy is best for both the sideways flicks.
- Finally, set the remap action you wish to undertake, and you are good to go.