Currently, the most famous browsers are Google Chrome, Safari for iOS, and then UC Browser. In this article, we are going to talk about another upcoming and rising browser known as Puffin Browser for mobile devices.
What is Puffin browser?
Puffin Web Browser is a wicked fast mobile browser. Once users experience the thrilling speed of Puffin, regular Mobile Internet feels like torture. Puffin Web Browser includes Adobe-Flash-Over-Cloud 24/7 now without additional in-app-purchase.
Puffin Browser is a web browser developed by CloudMosa which is an American-based mobile technology company founded by Shioupyn Shen.
How does Puffin browser works?
It does not work like any other normal browser. Your typically normal browsers interact with the hosts directly when you hit enter after typing in the website URL.
Can Puffin Browser be Traced?
Puffin Browser mainly focuses on speed, so website will be able to access a lot of information using your IP address and browsing activity of a user.
Features of Puffin Browser
There are lots of features that the developers highlight on their Google Play page and on their website, some of these are:
- Puffin speeds up mobile browsing by shifting the workload from the resource-limited devices to the cloud servers, and resource-demanding webpages can run super-fast on your phones or tablets.
- According to the official site, Puffin Browser is the only browser optimized for Android TV for video watching, music listening and Internet surfing. Puffin TV-Browser is faster than other browsers or even native apps on high-end Android TV / Set-Top Boxes.
- CloudMosa leverages the browser isolation technology to safeguard your web browsing in the cloud and keep threats like malware, ransomware, adware, and malicious links at bay.
- Like any other browser like UC Browser, the Puffin browser too has a Newsfeed that brings you the latest, breaking news from the world’s best journalists, which keeps yourself up with what’s happening in the world.
Some other features which you might be attracted to are:
- Incredible page load and rendering speed.
- Adobe Flash support over cloud during the daytime (also works on Android 4.4+)
- Download to cloud (up to 1G per file).
- Theater mode for Flash videos and games.
- Virtual trackpad and gamepad.
- The color theme for the toolbar and sidebar.
- Full web experience (desktop and mobile view）.
- Incognito tab: Auto-clean your browsing activities in the app.
- You can customize the data compression ratio base on your need. You can check the data usage in settings and browsing without worrying about going over the data limit.
Also if we go to their Kickstarter campaign for their own Puffin OS, then we get to know that Puffin Browser has already reached 100 million users worldwide. Puffin browser is the top utility app in the App Store in 58 countries, including the United Kingdom, France, Italy, Japan, South Korea, and more.
It is the #5 top browser in the US and is now one of the recommended browser options for Android users in Europe.
Now that we know the back story of the Puffin browser lets get into the real stuff.
Is Puffin the best browser?
No Puffin browser is not the best browser currently although it provides a lot of features not found in most of the browsers.
Does Puffin browser use a proxy?
In a sense yes ,it uses the company’s cloud servers that intereact with the website you ask the puffin browser to open.
Is Puffin browser secure?
Yes, but only to an extent. It redirects your data which you sent to their own company’s cloud servers for futher processing of the data that you wish to get displayed on your browser.
Are there ads on the puffin browser?
Yes ,To cover operational costs of maintaining Flash and loading resource-intensive websites on our cloud servers, ads may appear from time to time when viewing video content or playing games in the free version of Puffin.
Is Puffin the fastest browser?
No, although they claim that its one of the fastest browser but its not the fastest browser.
What can I use instead of a puffin browser?
Here is the list of browsers you can use instead of puffin.
1. Brave Browser.
2. Rocket Browser.
3. ASUS Browser.
4. Yolo Browser.
5. ONE Browser.
What is CloudMosa?
CloudMosa is a technology that creates an avatar of the user’s device in Puffin’s cloud servers to access data and execute applications on the Internet. Since the avatar runs remotely in high-performance computers with connectivity prowess, it can access data and execute applications at high speed efficiently, regardless of the original device’s hardware limitation.
The avatar also protects users’ devices by isolating unknown threats on the Internet, away from physical devices.
Now that we have mentioned all the awesome features of Puffin browser, lets move on to the other side of the coin.
The Puffin browser defaults to Google as its search engine. It only offers a handful of search engine options – Google, Yahoo, Yandex, Bing, and NAVER, with no option to manually add other search engines.
Tab management in Puffin is also quite rudimentary. There are no options to stack or pin tabs, or to view a dropdown menu of open tabs.
However, Puffin does offer a unique file saving option. When you download a file, you get a choice to save it to your computer or directly to one of three cloud storage services: Dropbox, Google Drive, or OneDrive.
Puffin’s PDF reader is quite similar to Chrome’s, with a basic set of document features and a sidebar for viewing document attachments and outlines.
The mobile version of Puffin is both free and richer in features than its desktop counterpart. However, free users get a limited data allowance and some features are locked behind the subscription. For instance, the ad-block feature is only available to paying users.
Despite these restrictions, the mobile version does offer some noteworthy features. For instance, Puffin uses a proprietary compression algorithm to reduce the data required to load web pages, thereby enhancing speed and reducing mobile data consumption.
Extra Controls in Puffin
The mobile version of Puffin also offers some additional navigation controls. It features a gamepad and a mouse cursor – quite handy for mobile gaming. The gamepad offers customizable controls, while the mouse cursor provides a desktop-like browsing experience on your mobile device.
Puffin Browser: Strengths and Weaknesses
Before we dive deeper into Puffin’s features, let’s take a quick look at its strengths and weaknesses.
- Fast browsing speeds: Puffin Browser uses cloud-based rendering to compress data and speed up browsing speeds. This can be especially beneficial for users with slow internet connections.
- Data compression: Puffin Browser can compress data by up to 90%, which can save users money on their data plans.
- Security: Puffin Browser uses a variety of security features to protect users from online threats, including encryption, malware blocking, and fraud protection.
- Compatibility: Puffin Browser is compatible with a wide range of websites and web applications.
- Performance: Puffin Browser can sometimes be slow to load websites and web applications, especially on older devices.
- Battery life: Puffin Browser can drain battery life more quickly than other browsers.
- Features: Puffin Browser lacks some of the features that are found in other browsers, such as ad blocking and extensions.
- Price: Puffin Browser is a paid app on some platforms.
Final Verdict : Is Puffin browser worth trying?
From AndroidHire Team we have a big NO for this browser.
In addition to the disadvantages already mentioned in the above section, but the more recent updates are pushing the users to accept any condition whatsoever in order to use the browser.
Instead, if anyone is so concerned with the privacy and stuff they can try the Brave Browser instead which rewards the user as well.
If you still want to try Puffin browser you can go here and download the latest version from the Play Store